This blog gets my opposite of goat!



Owch!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Every time I go to Nagano I come back to Tokyo with aching legs and red cheeks and funny stories. This time the source was a mantastic (8 men for every 1 lady) marathon . . . the same one for which I've been raising monies for UNICEF continued East Asian tsunami relief. And, if you were holding out to see whether or not I could finish, I did. Not quickly, no no . . . . not quickly. But I crossed the line and I have a finisher's towel to prove it. Take that, Nagano. So donate! I'll leave the page open 'til April 30th.

The marathon was much more Chicago than Pinckney -- very urban, less the 7 miles of frustratingly windblown rice fields. The 42 kilometers were peppered with the marathon's geriatric fan base, many of whom were waving 7-11 or NHK flags and shouting gambate (good luck) or some derivation thereof. And, the finish was in an Olympic Stadium -- a squishy baseball field, in fact, though for Nagano it was probably the curling venue. Surreal as the Japanese Marathon Experience was in some ways, I was grounded by the normalcy of it all. Por ejemplo the smells (including those wafting from the doorless urinals) were the same -- Prerace: BenGay, bandages, sneakers, grass and clean DryFit, Postrace: sweat, salt, sweat, feet, sun, sweat and asphalt.

A final thought: for those of you considering a 2006 running of the 8th Nagano Marathon, take note: POCARI SWEAT is the official sports beverage. In fact, getting dominated by those miles is worth it for the Pocari Sweat alone. Would I lie?

|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter