This blog gets my opposite of goat!



525,600 minues?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



After a few days of crap weather (Shagan recently reminded me of how it snowed on her birthday/farewell freshman in, ehhh, 1996?!, to which I'll add that it also snowed for our roof-poppin' party in my basement just one week earlier), it has finally returned to enjoyable* enough, just in time for the weekend. This one-day weekend is dedicated to package retrieval and lazitude only, however, as the past "week" was more weekend than usual given birthday celebrations including real live dancing until dawn, amongst other things.

It was recommended recently that I read an article by David Foster Wallace. So I read it and it's well-written, funny, kind of bizarre, all that; what I really want to address, though, are the footnotes. Brilliant! They're much like the "Stickies" that come with Mac's OS: pastel and all over the page -- i.e. on the sides and bottom, plus some of the footnotes even have inset footnotes of their own, akin to little miniature alien heads peeking out of the mouths of larger aliens . . . kind of. The tedious task of footnote perusal has always been a secret struggle of mine; they're often so dry and exhaustively full of abbreviations and obscure references. But now, thanks to David Foster Wallace, footnotes are fun again! Thanks DFW.

*I find I use the word "maybe" at least four times more here in Japan than I ever did in the U.S. Same with "enjoy" -- mostly as a verb. Students commonly use these words much more than the average native speaker, and I cringe upon recognizing that it's been rubbing off on me. Ah! I do try to self-correct, especially in writing, so maybe** nobody's noticed.

**see, like that.

|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter