This blog gets my opposite of goat!



Roman Holiday?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Ahh, so I've finally started teaching. I'm in an interesting school -- in short, it's like Cafe ManBar all over again. All the teachers at my school (including a gent named Lindsay, who I had initially hoped was female) are men, and most of them have been here for more than a year. NOVA also teaches French/German (at a precious few schools) and, while mine is one of them, all these teachers are XY as well. This situation is rare for NOVA, and I wonder how I've found myself enmeshed in it. Have all the other females been frightened off by the quasi-adolescent atmosphere? Hard to say. Regardless, these peers (are they peers? I suppose they must be) are invaluable resources as most of them know Japanese

And, as I suppose is the first lesson for any at least partially aware teacher, I have learned a lot from my students. Here are some examples of all they have to contribute.

1) I have learned that Audrey Hepburn here is like God. Totally. GOD. She's highly revered, likely because of her resemblance to a twig and/or the similar resemblance of many Japanese women to same said object.

2) Things my students have identified with the United States: Rocky (during a discussion of Philadelphia), Las Vegas, Ground Zero, Reese Witherspoon (I had a very detailed discussion in Voice about the difference between Legally Blonde 1 and its sequel), corporate greed of sorts, and more Las Vegas. All in all, these four or five items make for a pretty well rounded country, no?

Mm, that's all for now. The teaching is fairly rewarding so far, and I think I'll come to enjoy it more and more as I become familiar with the lessons and allow myself to add to the lesson plans a bit. Yeah. Booya.

|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter