This blog gets my opposite of goat!



Takaosanguchi*


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I just had two days off and climbed the ever-formidable 599 meter Mount Takao to burn off some energy. Good times were had -- I saw a hazy and sunlit Mt. Fuji from the summit, as well as a smog-ridden view of west Tokyo. Mt. Takao, the foot of which is about 2 or 3 miles from my apartment, was populated by geriactric climbers whose super sweet hiking gear put my J.C. Penny shorts and hand-dyed army backpack to shame. The experience made me think of running in the hills of Boulder, Colorado in cut-off Umbros and feeling inadequate gearwise, but only a little bit -- and certainly not enough to quell my desire to climb the Fuj in summertime ('tis highly discouraged in the the coming months). Anyway, after reaching the top of Takaosan about 90 minutes after leaving the foot, I chose descent by chair lift. It was rickety and sketchy and I have some funny pictures that I'll post . . . someday.

And just when you and I thought clear umbrellas were a fad of yesteryear (and by yesteryear I mean kindergardten . . . and decorated with Kermit the Frog and Hello Kitty), they appear to have returned with a vengeance. They're all over the place here, which I've somehow only just noticed. Today isn't the first day that it has rained, but apparently it's the first day I've bothered to look up from the rain puddles to see the glowing auras of the clear brellies. Really, they're pretty sensible, I guess, as regards preventing sidewalk collisions and letting in mood-enhancing light. Hm. Still.

Wow, lots of links. And p.s., I don't even know the Japanese word for mountain, though I believe it's something related to "san" or "guchi" . . . but I can write out the Kanji, which is one small step in the right direction. It looks like a trident without the staff. Or a fork without the handle. Booya. Mountian.

*Righto, so the title's link is to a view of the Fuj the summit of Mt. Takao. Mine was a lot hazier than that . . . I couldn't really tell what was what -- didn't even bother taking a pictures, but the experience was beautiful nonetheless.

|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter