This blog gets my opposite of goat!



On Loving; Civically, Earthily, Otherwise


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The Chicago branch of my office is moving a couple blocks west and the move, parallelled with my normal duties, has been the focal point of corporate life for a good three or four weeks now. This being my first experience with a move of such scale I've been struck by the starkly contrasting efficiencies and inefficiences it has presented. First we were given large stackable orange crates on dollies into which we piled (well, some stacked . . . or filed -- I piled) everything we'd need at the new locale. Older but still relevant documents were sent off the whimsically misnomered Iron Mountain.

And everything else? Trashed. Huge dumpsters lurked in aisles between cubicles for weeks, pulsing with an ebb and flow of office accoutrement(s), i.e. files, loose documents, huge boxes filled with the same, decorative sundries and those promoting esprit de corps (company-emblazoned stress balls, mouse pads, coffee mugs, etc). My guess is that 90% of what was discarded was readily recyclable. When I posited this stat to or discussed it othwise with my dear, sweet fellows it was met with complete incredulity. A example follows:

Scene: Elizabeth at photocopier

B: (enters with approx. 2 lbs. of white paper documents). Hey E, is the recycle bin around here? I can't seem to find the dumpster.
E: Yeah, right over there (points over shoulder). It's probably good that you recycle that anyway.
B: Okay (throws documents in bin)
C: (from outside the copy room) Hey B, I moved the dumpster -- it's out in the foyer if you need it.
B: (actively removes documents from recycling bin via a shoulder-deep plunge) Oh, good -- they're too heavy for this recycle bin, I think. (exits purposefully)

At this point I was too curious and maybe even too stunned to protest -- Too Heavy? As a hurdle across the path toward corporate recycling, that of heft completely blindsided me. With awareness of this curious prejudice I am planning on steering these fellows away from heft-related leanings in the new building, I just have to formulate a plan. Hmmm.

In other news, Chicago's Regional Tranportation Authority is actively promoting improvements in public transportation all around the area via, amongst other things, community meetings. I am really curious as to what may come of these and other actions transpiring via Moving Beyond Congestion and will be sure to share anything of note.

Today's Fact: If you go to Antarctica you will access the island on a Zodiac. To learn how to maneuver these beasts you will attend many "Zodiac Briefings" both on your clipper and/or the Argentinean mainland. Completely awesome.

|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter