This blog gets my opposite of goat!



Face Value


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I finally finished my 10 day work stint. Never again. I managed eight days with an unforced smile, and that took me straight through black russains in the staff room and an impulsive James-Brown-sings-Christmas-carols* Voice room discussion on the 25th. Post-Christmas, however, the veneer was cracked and I lost my will to be a good NOVA representative. Most of my fellow staffers are long gone to their respective English-speaking corners of the world, so it's been just me and a few die hards, plus some help teachers (teachers from other schools) teaching mostly full classes and splitting work between 3 that should be shared by at least 5 or 6. I teach eight lessons a day, which means that by yesterday evening I was on my 80th lesson in ten days. Mind-numbing, I tell you. Lesson quality deteriorated rapidly between the hours of 1:20 and 9:00 pm, but spirits were high as I had lots of fun students and was sleepily giddy for most of my lessons.

After work I had my first hands on experience of the Japanese singing sensation Karaoke. Hilarious. It's funny -- here there's no mincing of words. My staff decided we should have a "drinking party," to celebrate "Happy End This Year," so those of us who were around (three Japanese staffers, three German teachers, three English teachers and one wife) embraced said non-euphemized drinking and had quite the evening. The Germans dominated the Karaoke entertainment in the best way possible. Highlights included a few amazing Frank Sinatra impressions, and a fabulous rendition of some foreign 70's metal tune (in German), which had us all peeing our pants with glee. Karaoke here is done without shoes in private rooms where the tables are sunken into the floor and the price is a package all-you-can-eat-all-you-can-drink deal. Fun, yes.

On a sobering note, a moment of silence for that awful Tsunami in the Indian Ocean. Holy crap.

And, lastly, did anybody else get Buns of Steel for Christmas? I know I did, and I appreciate it, but this is one frightening glute. Yikes.

Take care and Happy End This Year,
Elizabeth

*Yes, I really bought a CD with James Brown's disembodied head floating in the middle of a wreath. And yes, it does have a song entitled Santa Claus go Straight to the Ghetto.



|

About me

Blogsies

Chicago

Rarely Updated

Archives


Site Meter